Parks are an essential part of communities, apart from playing a role in maintaining healthy ecosystems. Unique and innovative designs in parks make them a destination for families and visitors alike. Imaginative concepts and themes can convert parks into a focal point for communities, a place that the young and old will like to visit repeatedly. Here are some ways to design a destination park that stands out.
Fully immersive themed playgrounds can capture imaginations and appeal to multiple senses. From pre-historic caves to castles, children can enjoy imaginative play while the design provides a link to the community’s heritage and culture. Themed play spaces provide children with opportunities to create their own adventures.
- Imaginative play or pretend play is a crucial part of child development. It can encourage social and emotional development, spur creativity, and encourage independence.
- A light theme concept incorporates some themed elements of interest to the park, while a fully immersed theme makes the entire play space custom and unique.
Yalp Interactive Play and Sports Equipment
Incorporating a digital element with the real world helps to captivate young park-goers. Outdoor recreation designs can be made interesting with interactive play and sports products. It’s possible to bring the best of both worlds together to create healthy activities for children.
- Children lose 40% of their learning in summer breaks. Interactive plays can help prevent learning losses.
- Interactive play equipment can encourage multigenerational play and inclusion.
Playful Landscapes, Water & Sensory Play
Playful landscapes can be created in parks using materials like poured-in-place rubber safety surfacing to create mounds and spheres, bouncers, outdoor musical instruments for sensory play, fountains, bubblers or misters for water play. Playful landscapes are non-typical play experiences and generally do not include the traditional post and platform playground structures. Designs can even inculcate the topography of the land, such as hillside slides and net climbers to bring in the adventure element.
- Playful landscape spaces encourage multigenerational play and physical activity.
- 87% of children exceed recommended screen times from the American Pediatric Academy. This has many negative consequences. It’s important to provide a play space that allows children to disconnect from their digital devices. Playful landscape designs provide unique play and physical fitness experiences for children of all ages drawing them outdoors and away from their digital devices.
People of all ages, backgrounds, and abilities should be able to enjoy parks. Inclusive parks help create community bonds and allow children to learn healthy behavioral skills, like sensitivity and empathy.
- Inclusive play components can help in a variety of sensory processing and developmental needs. Integration of music and sensory information encourages kids to develop imaginative skills.
- Inclusive play equipment provides opportunities for all children to be included and play side-by-side with their peers.
- Our inclusive designs are based on 7 Principles of Inclusive Playground Design ® developed in partnership with PlayCore and Utah State University Center for Person with Disabilities.
Spruce Up Your Parks for Community Development
Parks go beyond providing aesthetic value or giving children something fun to do. Innovative parks can reshape and enrich the community. Providing destination parks and playgrounds can not only provide health and wellness opportunities but increase local business.